The Statewide Youth Broadband Advisory Council (SYBAC) is a unique opportunity for motivated high school students to research and discuss broadband and Internet topics, learn about Iowa technology companies, and discover technology careers. Meetings will take place monthly, throughout the school year, via video conference, teleconference, and/or in-person.
SYBAC is open to 10th – 12th grade Iowa students. Students will identify effective strategies to improve broadband connectivity and community environments, which could assist in advocacy efforts for rural Internet connectivity.
SYBAC members will:
- Participate in SYBAC meetings (by phone and online).
- Receive access to cybersecurity curriculum.
- Provide youth input on broadband efforts to create a connected Iowa.
- Serve as a council representative for a minimum of one (1) year, September – April.
- Rida Azam, Gilbert High School
- Sam Doud, Earlham High School
- Connor Fogarty, Valley High School, West Des Moines
- Hannah Groos, Norwalk High School
- Hailey Grotluschen, Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (HMS) High School
- JoAnn Hacker, Abraham Lincoln High School, Council Bluffs
- Chase McAndrews, Clarinda High School
- Lucas Pierce, Nashua-Plainfield High School
- Henry Shires, Valley High School, West Des Moines
- Justin Wells, Fremont-Mills High School
2020-2021 Meeting Dates
- September 8 at 2 PM
- October 13 at 2 PM
- November 10 at 2 PM
- December 8 at 2 PM
- January 12 at 2 PM
- February 9 at 2 PM
- March 9 at 2 PM
- April 13 - Tentative in-person tour
What Students Say About SYBAC...
"I have had a lot of fun this year with SYBAC. I have enjoyed hearing information from other students and experts in different places in Iowa. The guest speakers were very interesting & informative." - Caden S., 2019
"I am very grateful to have been a part of SYBAC. I do firmly believe that SYBAC has influenced my ideas about my future. I feel that I've become more technology inclined in my future career choices. Thanks for a great year of SYBAC." - Connor B., 2018
"Thank you for letting me be apart of SYBAC! I really enjoyed the experience and I learned a lot, and I especially liked SYBAC day." - Bradenn D., 2018
"Thank you for the opportunity to be apart of SYBAC. SYBAC helped me understand more of what is out there, and others opinions about what is out there. Computer Science is so broad that you can get lost, but every month I learned more about the world and about computer science. I have made some great;connections that will I'm sure be useful down the road." - Cole S., 2017
Contact Lori Larsen at email@example.com for questions about the council.