About the ICN
The ICN, a state agency, is a state-of-the-art fiber optic network providing telecommunications services to its authorized users including high-speed flexible broadband Internet, data, voice (phone), security, and consulting services.
- The Iowa Communications Network is an independent state agency that administers Iowa's statewide fiber optic telecommunications network.
- Business office is located on the State Capitol Complex in Des Moines, Iowa.
- The hub and Network Operations Center are located at the Iowa National Guard Joint Forces Headquarters (JFHQ) in Johnston, Iowa.
- The Iowa Telecommunications and Technology Commission (ITTC) is the governing body of the ICN. The Commission provides for the centralized, coordinated use and control of the Network.
- ICN’s executive director is appointed by the ITTC.
- Administrative and operational functions of the ICN are performed by the Administration Division (Finance and Business Services) and the Network Operations & Engineering Division.
- Fees for services make up the majority of the revenue received by the ICN. The ICN has not received a General Fund appropriation since FY 2004 for operating the Network.
View background information about the Iowa Communications Network.
ICN's authorized users, under Code of Iowa, include: K-12 schools, higher education, hospitals and clinics, state and federal government, National Guard armories, and libraries.
The two pieces of legislation that specify the authorized users served by the Iowa Communications Network can be found in the administrative rules for the Iowa Telecommunications and Technology Commission and the Chapter 8D of the Iowa Code.
Authorized User Type
Updated: October 2020
Users by Type
Higher Education (Regents Universities, Community Colleges,
Independent Colleges and Universities)
K-12 Schools (Public and Private)
Area Education Agencies
State Government (**Includes Legislative Branch, Judicial Branch,
Executive Branch, Public Safety, Court Systems)
Hospitals and Clinics
Miscellaneous (Federal Agencies, US Postal Service,
City of Des Moines)
ICN does not provide services to all authorized users. Numbers reflect entities classified as authorized users in the Code of Iowa.