Iowa Communications Network (ICN) has selected a group of Iowa high school students to serve on its Statewide Youth Broadband Advisory Council (SYBAC). The council is a unique opportunity for motivated high school students to research and discuss broadband and Internet topics, learn about Iowa technology companies, and discover technology careers. Throughout the school year, the students will meet with ICN Leadership and hear directly from leaders of Iowa technology companies. Last year’s students discussed a range of topics including broadband in schools, cybersecurity, automated transportation, and wireless technology.
The following students and community school districts (CSD) were selected to ICN’s SYBAC for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Luke Baker, Clarinda CSD
- Kourtney Ross, Earlham CSD
- Tyler Emanuel, Valley High School, West Des Moines CSD
- Vincent Hesselink, Cedar Falls CSD
- Anton Hesselink, Cedar Falls CSD
- Trey Voeller, Prairie City-Monroe (PCM) CSD
- Nate Richards, Prairie City-Monroe (PCM) CSD
- Dylan Kan, Liberty High, Iowa City CSD
- Elijah Marsh, English Valleys CSD
The Council’s focus is about receiving information and feedback from students, who will serve as broadband ambassadors. SYBAC meetings are held from September – April via videoconference. To keep updated on the student initiatives visit https://icn.iowa.gov/sybac.