Ten Iowa high school students have been selected to serve on Iowa Communications Network’s (ICN) Statewide Youth Broadband Advisory Council (SYBAC). The council is a unique opportunity for motivated high school students to research and discuss broadband and Internet topics, learn about Iowa technology companies, and discover technology careers. Throughout the school year, the students will meet with ICN Leadership and hear directly from leaders of Iowa technology companies. Last year’s students discussed a range of topics including broadband in schools, cybersecurity, coding, and wireless technology.
The following students were selected to ICN’s SYBAC for the 2020-2021 school year:
- Rida Azam, Gilbert High School
- Sam Doud, Earlham High School
- Connor Fogarty, Valley High School, West Des Moines
- Hannah Groos, Norwalk High School
- Hailey Grotluschen, Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (HMS) High School
- JoAnn Hacker, Abraham Lincoln High School, Council Bluffs
- Chase McAndrews, Clarinda High School
- Lucas Pierce, Nashua-Plainfield High School
- Henry Shires, Valley High School, West Des Moines
- Justin Wells, Fremont-Mills High School
The Council’s focus is about receiving information and feedback from students, who will serve as broadband ambassadors. SYBAC meetings are held from September – April via videoconference. To keep updated on the student initiatives visit https://icn.iowa.gov/sybac.