The Legislature adjourned the 2020 Session of the 88th General Assembly on Sunday, June 14. Members are now focused on the upcoming November election when all 100 House seats and 25 Senate seats will be on the ballot.
View a listing of bills passed by the 2020 Session of the 88th Iowa General Assembly.
Iowa Telecommunications and Technology Commission (ITTC) Update:
- Commissioner Steve Olson's appointment to the ITTC was confirmed by the Senate on March 4, 2020.
- Commissioner Krista Wenzel's appointment to the ITTC was confirmed by the Senate on June 10, 2020.
Bills of Interest:
- SF 2261 - Telehealth in Schools - Expands the opportunities for students to access mental health services with a licensed professional mental health provider by offering parents/guardians access to services through an electronic encounter in the school setting.
- SF 2400 - Empower Rural Iowa - Intended to foster greater broadband connectivity to all four corners of the state. This is a key component of the Governor’s Empower Rural Iowa Initiative.
- Expands eligibility to receive grant funds by allowing the adoption of geographic units of measure smaller than US Census Blocks to better target state funds to underserved areas.
- Allows awards of up to 35% of project cost if certain speed requirements are met.
- Allows the Office of the Chief Information Officer flexibility to distribute federal COVID-19 aid to rapidly expand broadband service.
Gov. Reynolds and Lt. Gov. Gregg reflect on 2020 Legislative Session - 06/14/2020
Gov. Reynolds, Lt. Gov. Gregg release statements after legislative priority passes unanimously - 06/10/2020